Home School Dads

Line

Spacespace
Message Boards
Stripes

space
Home School Dads
A Website for Fathers who Home School

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New way, for me, to do math

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bartii

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: New way, for me, to do math Reply with quote

This year we have joined a homeschool Co-op. The Vineyard church has a school for homeschoolers that has classes twice a week(Tues. & Thurs.). On Mon, Wed, and Fri. I teach my boys. It has been fun and they are considering hiring me to be the P.E. teacher. However, there has been some challenges.

My eldest has had a hard time adjusting to a classroom setting. He brought his grades up this last quarter, but has got himself into trouble a couple of times where we have had to have meetings with his teachers and the principal.

He really struggled with Saxon 8/7 math. It was different then Horizons math. He was failing terribly. No matter what I did or the teacher did to help him understand he just couldn't comprehend what was being taught. It was very frustrating.

I met with his teacher and she told me about a math CD- ROM program that he may like. He was not understanding some of the basic concepts. He loves working from the computer. She loves the program and wishes the school would change over to it, however, it is expensive. You get 4 CDs, teachers guide, and a workbook for $169.

I researched it. I called them up and discussed it with them. I talked to his teacher some more. I decided to go for it. I pulled him out of his math class and he does math at home on the computer. I have to make worksheets up for him to take to school to do during the time he would otherwise be doing math.

This curriculum is called Teaching Textbooks. It was created by homeschoolers for homeschoolers. However, from what I understand, there are some schools that are using it. If you would like to research it yourself go to http://www.teachingtextbooks.com

I am not a sales rep for them. I don't even work for them. But, it is working for my son. This program does the teaching and also grades each lesson and keeps track of those lessons. It is really cool and my son loves it. He is in seventh grade. I believe they have curriculum up to twelth grade.

Let me know what you think of it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> Math All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: