Home School Dads

Line

Spacespace
Message Boards
Stripes

space
Home School Dads
A Website for Fathers who Home School

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The reason(s) we started

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> Reasons for Starting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rand

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: The reason(s) we started Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm finally posting (been around for awhile), and I assume my acct was deleted for 0 posts.

Anyway, we had been preparing to homeschool for several months since they cut PE, art, and music. Also, they spend 1 hour each month for science. My boys are almost 7 & 8 and need these subjects. We were preparing to start homeschooling in the Fall of '07.

The proverbial straw was when the school repeatedly sent the kids to the wrong place after school. We had standing orders to send them to the Boys & Girls Club after school, but they sent them home (not both on the same day) to be home alone for several hours. They told me after the first time that it was not their responsibility, but it would not happen again. But of course it did, and it happens frequently to alot of kids. After the second time I went to the police and the local newspapers (as I warned them I would after the first time). I also pulled them from the schools.

We are pleased at our decision and of course a little nervous.

Rand
Rich

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The reason(s) we started Reply with quote

Rand wrote:
Hi,

I'm finally posting (been around for awhile), and I assume my acct was deleted for 0 posts.

Anyway, we had been preparing to homeschool for several months since they cut PE, art, and music. Also, they spend 1 hour each month for science. My boys are almost 7 & 8 and need these subjects. We were preparing to start homeschooling in the Fall of '07.

The proverbial straw was when the school repeatedly sent the kids to the wrong place after school. We had standing orders to send them to the Boys & Girls Club after school, but they sent them home (not both on the same day) to be home alone for several hours. They told me after the first time that it was not their responsibility, but it would not happen again. But of course it did, and it happens frequently to alot of kids. After the second time I went to the police and the local newspapers (as I warned them I would after the first time). I also pulled them from the schools.

We are pleased at our decision and of course a little nervous.

Rand

Hi Rand,

Welcome to homeschooling. I'm sure you will not regret your decision but rather will receive daily affirmations that it was the best choice you could've made. Become familiar with your states home education regulations as they vary from state to state with some states being facilitative and others being almost hostile. Consider joining <www.hslda.org> as well. You can expect a period of adjustment that might last through the rest of this year and maybe into next but it will be for the good. Try to not get hung up on lesson planning and curriculum too much yet- just the basics. Keep in mind that your kids will work through lessons and achieve mastery very quickly. Your "school day" will likely take only 2-3 hours at most. Really! Do try to allow time to decompress and for you all as a family, to learn each others' ways. Spend time playing educational games and taking field trips. Get some computer based programs that will stiimulate interest and pair it with fun. Jump Start is an excellent program series that we used for years. Take the kids to the library and get them reading. Have you looked into area homeschooling supoprt groups? They can be both bad and good so check them out for fit but don't feel as though you must participate. Best of luck on your new adventure and keep us posted.

Rich
BigDaddy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rand,
Welcome to the forums. I'm glad you decided to post. The more experienced dad's here on these boards will do our best to help you if we can. But we are ALL learning here every day.

I agree with Rich's response, especially looking into a local support group and www.HSLDA.org.

As for the deletion of your previous registration, we've been getting hit with a LOT of spam recently and it has been hard to destinguish between the legitement dads and the spammers unless you post a messege. I've been doing a lot recently to help stop the spammers and think I almost have it.

Anyways, welcome again to the HSD forums and let us know if we can help you. Be sure to post another note in the "Where Are You Located" category. Maybe you're one of our neighbors!

Mark
HSD-Admin
Rand

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses guys, it is nice to see we are on the right path.

We will prolly register with the hslda when they get a bit older. IL is very helpful to homeschoolers and we are already exceeding the requirements the state set forth.

Good meeting you all,

Rand
Rich

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rand wrote:
Thanks for the responses guys, it is nice to see we are on the right path.

We will prolly register with the hslda when they get a bit older. IL is very helpful to homeschoolers and we are already exceeding the requirements the state set forth.

Good meeting you all,

Rand

Hi again,

Depending on the homeschooling climate in your state Rand, you may want to look at HSLDA right away. The benefit to joining is always potential, like taking an insurance policy. Parents can experience a lot of trouble from the boards of education immediately upon withdrawling their kids from school. Maybe you've had no trouble so far and if you're fortunate, that won't change. I'm grateful every day that we live in a homeschool friendly state.

Take care,

Rich
Seawind

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:51 am    Post subject: Nice to See you here Rand Reply with quote

Welcome
Rand- You have received some great advice and wisdom from these gentlemen. Especially about pacing yourself the first year, and not going over board time wise, at the age your kids are at.

We home schooled 2 hrs a day in Africa. After we were done with them they just read books, any book they wanted to. Reading good books they are interested in is key.
Anyway, when we put the kids in PS on our return home, they were all at the top of their class. It was not because our kids are brighter than average. It was the HS environment that did that. They were running 1-1.5 grades above their peers. Anyway, after 4 years in Public School we stared to HS again.

We are in Canada, but I really would recommend you join HSLDA. We did so here at the Canadian Branch as well.
If you need them, it is most likely in the first few years, and especially the first year when you first pull out of school. Given the circumstances of your pull out, I would recommend it very much. Not to beat a dead horse. But it is the best $100 insurance policy you will ever buy- actually the cheapest lawyer you will ever buy. You never know if someone might look for revenge or have an Axe to grind with you over this.
All they have to do is make one call.

Have you chosen a complete curriculum or are you putting something together on your own?

Anyway, enjoy your journey.
Andy
RB

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on your choice to home school. This is a life style different from any I ever considered living. It has its unique challenges and rewards. Give yourself time to adjust to this lifestyle, to discover yourself as a home schooling father. You are equally principal, teacher, and parent. You will make mistakes. It may take awhile to find your groove. Be patient.

Give your children time to adjust to this lifestyle, to discover themselves as home school learners. They are equally your students and your children, each with unique skills, abilities, and learning styles. They will make mistakes. It will take them awhile to find their groove. Be patient with them.

Best of luck on your choice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> Reasons for Starting All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: